A Brief History of CHF
Ground Floor of First National Bank, ca. 1911. Photograph by William Rau. Chemical Heritage Foundation Archives, CHF Collections.
CHF’s programs and activities have evolved throughout the years, but its mission—to advance public understanding of chemistry and related sciences—has remained constant.
In 1982 the Center for the History of Chemistry was launched by the University of Pennsylvania and the American Chemical Society. The American Institute of Chemical Engineers became the third sponsor in 1984.
By 1987 the center was incorporated as a nonprofit organization called the National Foundation for the History of Chemistry. It was renamed the Chemical Heritage Foundation (CHF) in 1992 to better reflect its interdisciplinary nature and the widening scope of its activities.
As we celebrate CHF's 30th anniversary, we are also taking time to remember the moments--and, most importantly, the people--who have shaped and supported CHF since its earliest days.