‹ Back to Collection
Technicon AutoAnalyzer Sampler Unit
- Introduced 1957
Manufactured by the Technicon Instruments Corporation
Made in Chauncey, New York
- 8.75 in. H x 10 in. W x 9.75 in. D
Metal, stainless steel, plastic, glass, rubber
- Not on display
- Gift of Mrs. Patricia Weisberg
The AutoAnalyzer was invented by Leonard Skeggs in 1950 to measure the amount of chemicals present in bodily fluids. Before the invention of the AutoAnalyzer this analysis had to be conducted manually. The AutoAnalyzer provided more precise results while improving productivity and lowering costs. More than 50,000 models have been sold, and improved models are still in use today.
The AutoAnalyzer is a large apparatus with several components, including a pump, manifold, bath, photometer, and chart recorder. The component here is the turntable sampler unit, in which specimens were deposited in small, glass sample cups.