Title and Description Page
Personal Background and Early Interests in Science 1
Family background. Childhood and early schooling experiences. Wife and children. Interest in science and getting involved in plastics.
Early Career 8
Sol M. Robinson. Description of the injection molding process. Start of Robinsons Plastics Corporation and employment there. Experiences with the government. Work for Montrose Chemical Company and Columbia Plastic Products Manufacturing Corporation. Formation of RLR Industries, Inc.
Educational Outreach 36
Activities with the Society of Plastics Engineers. Creation and running of seminar programs in plastics education. Authoring book on injection molding and other writing projects. Recollection of rewarding teaching experiences.
Recollection of Selected Projects 42
Use of vacuum metalizing on plastics. Molding Lexan. Experience with Clinique Laboratories. Accounts of working with customers of RLR Industries, Inc. Work with Craftool Company. Setting up schools for Chinese mold builders at the request of the United Nations.
Historical Efforts and Concluding Thoughts 62
Collection of plastics history through the Plastics Pioneers Association in conjunction with Chemical Heritage Foundation. Historical programs with the Society of Plastic Engineers. Career successes. Chief contributions to the field of plastic molding. Reflection on the ubiquity of plastics in everyday life.
I. Mold Checklist
II. Correcting Molding Faults
III. Piece Part Design
IV: Invitation to Participate in the PPA History Project Sent to all PPA Members
V: Figures 1 through 37
- Plastic Prism, Robinson Plastics Corporation
- Operator removing a plastic part, Monsanto Chemical Company
- Hydraulic clamp end schematic
- Reciprocating screw injection end schematic
- Exploded view of mold base, Detroit Mold Engineering
- Nylon battery case, Gulton Industries
- Finial assembly, Robinson Plastics Corporation
- Capiz shell lampshade, Robinson Plastics Corporation
- Polypropylene lampshades, Robinson Plastics Corporation
- Swag lampshades, Robinson Plastics Corporation
- Molded parts, Robinson Plastics Corporation
- Molded and decorated parts, Robinson Plastics Corporation
- Apple cutter, Robinson Plastics Corporation
- Party and patio ware, Robinson Plastics Corporation
- Apollo bookend, Petit Musée
- Plastic mortar, Anchor Manufacturing
- Tissue box, Rialto Products
- Basket, 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches tall, Rialto Products
- Automatic vacuum former, RLR Industries, Inc.
- 4 foot by 4 foot pressure forming press, RLR Industries, Inc.
- Michelin Tire Man, RLR Industries, Inc.
- Formed party ware, RLR Industries, Inc.
- Society of Plastics Engineers' seminar brochure
- Plastics Seminar brochure
- Injection Molding cover
- Handbook brochure
- Automatic bushing machine
- Matchbox tray, Lesney Products
- Computer card holder, RCA Corporation
- Lexan centrifuge
- Pool skimmer, AMPRO Machine Products
- Lexan four-way valve, AMPRO Machine Products
- Pleuro-Evac, Deknatel, Inc. and Pfizer Inc.
- ABS circular crib
- Lapidary tumbler, Craftool Company
- Right angle drill
- Decorated switch plate, Angelo Brother Company