Equitable, socially and environmentally minded decision making is a key component in the creation of sustainable solutions. The projects in this area examine and explore the creation of regulatory regimes, especially their intersection with the larger public (e.g., community groups, patient support groups, clinical trial participants, voluntary and government organizations, investors, environmental groups, scientists).
These intersections are increasingly economic, scientific, social, and cultural. Through historical and contemporary research we aim to deepen public discussions on the meanings, roles, agents (or actors), and institutions of governance.
- Develop projects that explore regulation and governance from a variety of perspectives.
- Invite discussion on issues of contemporary and historical significance.
- Provide access to relevant sources and events that actively engage these issues and work toward solutions.
- Reach out to other programs with areas of common interest.
Need Meeting Space?
|CHF’s state-of-the-art conference center is in Philadelphia’s beautiful historic district.
See your environment with fresh eyes through this online exhibit.
Fellowships at CHF
CHF’s scholars, who spend anywhere from one to nine months in residence, form a vital part of CHF’s intellectual life.
Hear It Firsthand
CHF’s Center for Oral History captures and preserves the stories of notable figures in chemistry and related fields. Many of the oral histories in the collection belong to winners of CHF’s awards, including
- Arnold Beckman, winner of the Othmer Gold Medal (2000)
- Robert Allington, winner of the Pittcon Heritage Award (2005)
- Carl Djerassi, winner of the Othmer Gold Medal (2000), the AIC Gold Medal (2004), and the Ullyot Public Affairs Lecturer (1995)
- Gordon Cain, winner of the Petrochemical Heritage Award (1997)
Listen to their extraordinary stories today!
Historically Grounded Perspectives
|The Center for Contemporary History and Policy explores issues ranging from energy to medicine on CHF's blog, Periodic Tabloid.